- By Prateek Levi
- Mon, 20 Jan 2025 02:16 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
TikTok Ban in USA: TikTok began restoring its services on Sunday after President-elect Donald Trump announced that he would reinstate the app in the U.S. upon taking office. “Frankly, we have no choice. We have to save it,” Trump said during a rally on Sunday, promising a joint venture that would allow the popular short-video app, used by 170 million Americans, to continue operating.
In a statement to its users before the rally, TikTok acknowledged Trump’s efforts: “As a result of President Trump’s efforts, TikTok is back in the US.” The app had earlier stopped working for U.S. users late Saturday, with many reporting they could access the TikTok website, but the app itself remained unavailable. TikTok also said, “In agreement with our service providers, TikTok is in the process of restoring service,” thanking Trump for clearing up concerns and assuring that service providers would face no penalties for continuing to offer the app.
The political tension surrounding TikTok comes amid ongoing U.S.-China disputes. Earlier in the week, the Chinese Embassy in Washington criticized the U.S., calling its efforts to shut down TikTok an abuse of state power. "China will take all necessary measures to resolutely safeguard its legitimate rights and interests," said a spokesperson. Despite concerns over data security, TikTok remains immensely popular in the U.S., and Trump’s intervention marks a reversal from his earlier stance.
In 2020, Trump had sought to ban TikTok over fears that the Chinese government could access U.S. user data. However, as he prepares for another term, Trump now appears to support the app, even crediting it with helping him connect with younger voters in the 2024 election. He also mentioned that he would seek a 50% ownership stake for the U.S. in any joint venture involving TikTok.
Trump’s efforts to “Save TikTok” have not been without controversy, however. Some Republican senators, like Tom Cotton and Pete Ricketts, have argued that TikTok should not return unless ByteDance, the Chinese parent company, sells its U.S. operations and complies with the law’s requirements. “For TikTok to come back online in the future, ByteDance must agree to a sale that satisfies the law's qualified-divestiture requirements by severing all ties between TikTok and Communist China,” they said in a joint statement.
The debate over TikTok's fate has prompted interest from potential buyers. Media reports indicate that Beijing has been in talks about selling the app’s U.S. operations to Elon Musk, though TikTok has denied these claims. Other suitors, like former Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, are reportedly eager to acquire the app, which analysts estimate could be worth $50 billion.
Meanwhile, the law banning TikTok had been set to take effect, prompting an outcry from users who scrambled to find workarounds. Searches for "VPN" spiked as users sought ways to access the app, while marketers who relied on TikTok for their business began urgently preparing for possible disruption. TikTok’s CEO, Shou Zi Chew, was reported to attend Trump’s inauguration and a rally, further fueling speculation about the app's uncertain future in the U.S.
As this dramatic episode unfolds, one thing is clear: TikTok’s future in the U.S. remains highly unpredictable, with both political and corporate forces vying for control of one of the most influential platforms in the world.
(Includes Agency Inputs: Reuters)
ALSO READ: TikTok Ban Sparks Action: Instagram Now Lets You Upload 3-Minute Reels