- By Anushka Vats
- Tue, 05 Mar 2024 07:27 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
The 28-year-old Spanish woman, who was allegedly gang-raped in Jharkhand's Dumka earlier this week, said that she has no complaints against the people of India as she has safely travelled around 20,000 km across the country. She also mentioned that she would continue her world tour.
"People of India are nice. I don't blame the people, but I blame the criminals. People of India have treated me very well, and were very kind to me," she said while speaking to the reporters before leaving for Nepal via Bihar along with her husband on their motorcycle.
As many as eight accused have been arrested in the matter so far.
According to the police, the woman was allegedly gang-raped at Kurumahat in the Hansdiha police station area, nearly 300 km away from the state capital Ranchi, on Friday.
"We chose the place for the night stay because it was calm and beautiful. We thought it would be okay if we lived there alone," said the woman who has been travelling for more than six years.
"We have been in India for the last six months and travelled around 20,000 km. We did not have any problems anywhere. This has happened for the first time," she said.
"I have good memories from India," she added.
She also mentioned that she would continue her tour along with her husband.
"I want to tell some people, especially girls, to coach themselves to face such situations. I know it's hard and it's not easy. You don't forget, but you have to keep trying to leave it in the past," she said.
Meanwhile, the Jharkhand Police on Tuesday handed over a compensation of Rs 10 lakhs to her husband.
"We did a fast investigation and from the side of district administration, we are providing all the help to them (rape survivor and husband). Under the victim compensation scheme, we have given them Rs 10 lakh. We will try for a speedy trial and conviction of the accused," Anjaneyulu Dodde, Deputy Commissioner, said on Monday.