• By Abhirupa Kundu
  • Tue, 26 Sep 2023 03:55 PM (IST)
  • Source:JND

Cauvery River Water Dispute: The sharing of the Cauvery River water has been a persistent issue between the two southern states of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. The conflict rose to prominence in recent times after the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA) directed Karnataka to continue releasing 5,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu for another 15 days. The Cauvery water-sharing dispute dates back to the British era with 44,000 square kilometre basin area in Tamil Nadu and 32,000 square kilometre in Karnataka. 

The princely state of Mysore and Madras presidency in 1924 arrived at a consensus in regard to the construction of a dam and reservoir at Krishnarajasagara on February 18 in the same year. A couple of minor agreements were also signed in 1929 and 1933. 

"The limitations and arrangements laid down in certain specified clauses of the agreement were open to reconsideration at the expiry of 50 years from the date of its execution. The reconsideration was to be in the light of experience gained and of an examination of the possibilities of the further extension of irrigation within the territories of the respective governments and to such modification and additions as may be mutually agreed upon" : the agreement read. 

The dam that Mysore was allowed to build at Kannambadi village could store up to 44.8 thousand cubic feet of water. However, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka have both approached the Supreme Court after Independence several times. 

What Is Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal?

The Indian Government in 1990 constituted the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal (CWDT) to resolve the water disputes between the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and Puducherry. 

The CWDT then passed an interim order to Karnataka for releasing 205 million cubic feet of water to Tamil Nadu on a monthly or weekly basis. 

But the Cauvery conundrum did not end here, year after year several negotiations and verdicts failed to settle the water-sharing dispute between the two states. 

Finally on February 16, 2018, the Supreme Court delivered its verdict in the Kaveri water dispute allocating more water to the state of Karnataka.

Later in June 2018, the Supreme Court instructed the formation of the Cauvery Water Management Authority (CWMA). Three weeks later the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee (CWRC) was created.

ALSO READ: Bengaluru Bandh: IndiGo, Vistara, SpiceGet Issue Travel Advisory For Passengers Amid Traffic Disruptions, Check Details 

Fast forward to 2023, following the CWMA order to release water to Tamil Nadu, Karnataka Congress' top brass maintained that the state does not have any surplus water available to be released. 

Supreme Court Refuses To Interfere In Cauvery Water-Sharing 

The Supreme Court earlier this week refused to interfere with CWMA's order directing the Karnataka  government to release 5,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu. 

A three-judge bench said that it is not inclined to entertain the plea of Tamil Nadu challenging the decision of the CWMA. 

Why are Karnataka Farmers Protesting? 

The Karnataka Jala Samrakshana Samiti, an umbrella outfit of farmers' associations and other organisations led by farmer leader Kuruburu Shanthakumar on September 26 called for the Bengaluru Bandh in view of the Cauvery water dispute. The shutdown in the city has been called from 6 am to 6 pm. 

Karnataka farmers staging the protest claimed that the Cauvery basin in the state has been facing severe drought-like conditions and there is a water shortage in the reservoirs. They said that the water in the water was barely enough to meet the needs of drinking in the region. 

The ongoing protest sparked after the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee ordered to release 5,000 cusecs of water each day to neighbouring Tamil Nadu for 15 days. 

ALSO READ: Bengaluru Bandh: Traffic Disrupted, Schools Closed Amid Strike Over Cauvery Water Dispute; Security Heightened