- By Priyanka Koul
- Sat, 10 May 2025 06:20 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
India and Pakistan have reached an agreement to implement an immediate ceasefire following several days of rising military tension. The decision came after a phone conversation on Saturday between the Directors General of Military Operations (DGMO) from both nations. As confirmed by Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri, both sides agreed to halt all military activities—on land, in the air, and at sea—effective immediately.
Following the announcement, External Affairs Minister Dr S. Jaishankar stated that while India has agreed to stop military action, its strong stance against terrorism remains unchanged. He said, “India and Pakistan have come to an understanding to cease all firing and military operations. However, India continues to stand firm in its commitment to fighting terrorism in all forms.”
India and Pakistan have today worked out an understanding on stoppage of firing and military action.
— Dr. S. Jaishankar (@DrSJaishankar) May 10, 2025
India has consistently maintained a firm and uncompromising stance against terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. It will continue to do so.
Foreign Secretary Misri further clarified that apart from the ceasefire, there are no plans for further dialogue on any other matters at this time. This confirmation followed a statement by US President Donald Trump, who announced that India and Pakistan had committed to a “full and immediate” ceasefire after US-led mediation efforts.
India-Pakistan Ceasefire Agreement
During a special media briefing, Foreign Secretary Misri stated that the ceasefire would officially begin at 5:00 PM IST.
"Pakistan's Directors General of Military Operations (DGMO) called Indian DGMO at 15:35 hours earlier this afternoon. It was agreed between them that both sides would stop all firing and military action on land and in the air and sea with effect from 1700 hours Indian Standard Time. Today, instructions have been given on both sides to give effect to this understanding. The Directors General of Military Operations will talk again on the 12th of May at 1200 hours," Misri said.
VIDEO | MEA (@MEAIndia) Press Briefing: "The DGMOs will talk again on the 12th of May at 1200 hours," says foreign secretary Vikram Misri (@VikramMisri).
— Press Trust of India (@PTI_News) May 10, 2025
(Full video available on PTI Videos - https://t.co/n147TvqRQz) pic.twitter.com/m5d0p4BK1y
US Role in the Agreement
US President Donald Trump played a key role in the mediation. Sharing the news on his social media platform, Truth Social, he wrote,"After a long night of talks mediated by the United States, I am pleased to announce that India and Pakistan have agreed to a FULL AND IMMEDIATE CEASEFIRE. Congratulations to both Countries on using Common Sense and Great Intelligence. Thank you for your attention to this matter!"
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed that he, along with Vice-President JD Vance, had engaged in discussions with top leaders from both countries including Indian PM Narendra Modi, Pakistani PM Shehbaz Sharif, Indian External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir, and the National Security Advisors of both countries. Rubio also revealed that both governments have agreed to begin wider talks on various issues at a neutral location in the near future.
Over the past 48 hours, @VP Vance and I have engaged with senior Indian and Pakistani officials, including Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and Shehbaz Sharif, External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Chief of Army Staff Asim Munir, and National Security Advisors Ajit…
— Secretary Marco Rubio (@SecRubio) May 10, 2025