- By Shivangi Sharma
- Sun, 12 Oct 2025 01:06 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
Inense fighting broke out along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border late Friday after Taliban forces launched retaliatory attacks on Pakistani military positions, following an alleged Pakistani airstrike in Kabul earlier this week. The confrontation marks one of the most serious escalations between the two sides since the Taliban’s return to power in 2021.
Afghanistan announced on Sunday that its forces killed 58 Pakistani soldiers and captured 25 army posts in overnight border operations. The Taliban government said the action was a response to repeated violations of Afghan territory and airspace by Pakistan.
Earlier in the week, Afghan authorities accused Pakistan of carrying out airstrikes in Kabul and an eastern market, though Islamabad has not taken responsibility for the attacks. Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed that 30 additional Pakistani soldiers were wounded during the clashes, describing the operation as a defence of Afghanistan’s sovereignty.
A spokesperson for Afghanistan’s Ministry of Defence, Enayatullah Khowarazmi, said Taliban troops conducted “retaliatory operations” in response to Pakistan’s alleged violations of Afghan airspace. “If the opposing side again violates Afghanistan's airspace, our armed forces are prepared to defend their territory and will deliver a strong response,” Khowarazmi warned, adding that the fighting had ended by midnight local time.
ALSO READ: From Nepal To Madagascar: How Gen Z Is Turning Internet, Memes, Hashtags Into New Weapon Of Protest
Pakistan Vows ‘Full Force’ Response
Pakistani security officials confirmed that clashes took place at several points along the Durand Line, including in Kunar and Helmand provinces, but rejected Taliban claims of seizing outposts. Islamabad accused Afghan forces of initiating “unprovoked firing”, insisting that Pakistani troops were responding “with full force” to defend their positions.
Security sources cited by Reuters said Pakistani forces used artillery and air support to repel the assaults, though officials declined to comment on casualty figures. The Pakistani military has yet to issue an official statement, but described the Taliban’s actions as a “serious provocation”.
The latest flare-up follows a week of tension after explosions in Kabul and southeastern Afghanistan, which the Taliban government blamed on Pakistan. While Islamabad has not claimed responsibility, it has repeatedly accused the Taliban of harbouring Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) militants who have carried out deadly attacks inside Pakistan.
As tensions rise, Qatar, a key regional mediator, expressed concern over the border violence, urging both nations to “exercise restraint and resolve their differences through dialogue.” The Qatari foreign ministry emphasised that escalation would only endanger regional stability and undermine counterterrorism efforts
