• Source:JND

As US President Donald Trump considers joining Israel's military campaign aimed at dismantling Iran's nuclear infrastructure, the head of the world's nuclear watchdog says there is no proof Iran is actively pursuing a nuclear weapon. Rafael Grossi, Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), told Fox News that while Iran currently possesses enough enriched material for multiple warheads, this alone does not confirm intentions to build a nuclear bomb.

“We have confirmed that Iran does have, even now, enough material for several warheads,” Grossi said. “But this should not be equated with a nuclear weapon,” he emphasised. “At this time, we have no tangible proof of a program or plan to fabricate or manufacture a nuclear weapon.”

ALSO READ: Israel-Iran War: Trump Called Himself A 'Peacemaker', His Actions Tell A Different Chaotic Story

The IAEA, which is responsible for monitoring Iran’s nuclear activities under the United Nations framework, has been unable to conduct on-site inspections since Israel began striking targets in Iran earlier this month. In the meantime, the agency has relied heavily on satellite imagery to continue its assessments. When asked whether Israeli attacks had significantly crippled Iran’s nuclear program, Grossi responded, “No, I wouldn’t say so. I think there have been a number of important military attacks and impacts. But it is very clear, and everybody agrees on this, that not everything has been taken out.”

IAEA warns against strike on nuclear facilities in Iran

He warned against attacks on nuclear facilities and called for maximum restraint amid Israel's strikes on Iran. "Armed attack for nuclear facilities should never take place and could result in radioactive releases with great consequences within and beyond boundaries of the state which has been attacked," Grossi, told the UN Security Council. "I, therefore, again call for maximum restraint."

Israel slams UN rights council for giving floor to Iran 

Israel's ambassador to the United Nations in Geneva has raised "vehement objection" to Iran addressing the Human Rights Council ahead of talks with European counterparts in Geneva to try to de-escalate the conflict, according to a letter seen by news agency Reuters. "Affording the Iranian foreign minister the floor before this body continues to undermine the council's credibility and constitutes a blatant betrayal of the many victims of this regime worldwide," Daniel Meron said in a letter addressed to council president Jurg Lauber.

ALSO READ: Is America Backing Down Or Planning Something Big? Us Pulls Warplanes Out Of Qatar Base Amid Iran-Israel Conflict | Report

The council said on Friday said that Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi was due to be given the floor. Shortly afterwards, he is due to hold talks with the EU foreign policy chief and his counterparts in Britain, France and Germany in order to de-escalate the conflict. In the letter, Meron accuses Iran of using the council as a international stage to "promote the regime's despotic campaign."

On Wednesday, the Iranian Ambassador to the UN in Geneva addressed the council and accused Israeli attacks as representing an act of "war against humanity". Israel began attacking Iran last Friday, saying it aimed to prevent its longtime enemy from developing nuclear weapons. Iran retaliated with missile and drone strikes on Israel.

(With inputs from agency)