- By Priyanka Koul
- Wed, 12 Feb 2025 11:30 AM (IST)
- Source:JND
Larsen & Toubro (L&T) Chairman S.N. Subrahmanyan, who previously drew attention for his controversial remark about a 90-hour workweek, is back in the spotlight over his latest statement regarding the relocation of workers. This time, Subrahmanyan stated that workers are hesitant to relocate due to the availability of government welfare schemes.
Speaking at the CII’s Mystic South Global Linkages Summit 2025 in Chennai on Tuesday, Subrahmanyan said that schemes like MGNREGA, Jan Dhan accounts, and direct benefit transfers have likely impacted labor mobility. He added that it is becoming difficult to hire workers for the construction industry, as they are unwilling to leave their hometowns in favor of the comfort provided by these schemes.
"Labor is not willing to move for opportunities. Perhaps their local economy is doing well, or it may be because of various government schemes," he said, noting that the labor shortage could affect the progress of India’s infrastructure projects.
Additionally, Subrahmanyan mentioned that L&T requires 4 lakh workers but ends up recruiting 16 lakh due to high attrition rates. He also stated that workers' wages should be adjusted according to inflation and highlighted that workers in the Middle East earn three to 3.5 times the salary they receive in India.
In December, Subrahmanyan faced public backlash after suggesting a 90-hour workweek, which sparked concerns about the impact of such demands on workers’ personal lives. His remarks included a controversial statement about employees prioritizing work over home life, asking, "How long can you stare at your wife?" He later expressed regret over the inability to enforce Sunday work, stating, "If I can make you work on Sundays, I would be happier because I work on Sundays."