- By Gurmeet Batra
- Sun, 30 Nov 2025 06:16 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Devajit Saikia has rubbished speculation that the board had approached batting maestro Virat Kohli to reconsider his Test retirement, dismissing the widespread media reports.
In light of India's struggles in red-ball cricket, the rumours of the BCCI intending to speak to Kohli to make a U-turn on Test retirement have been circulating widely in the Indian media.
India's recent home series defeat has dealt a blow to their reputation and made a significant dent in their strong home record.
Despite all the rumours, the BCCI secretary has confirmed that no approach had been made to Kohli regarding a reversal of his Test retirement decision.
“What’s being said about Virat Kohli is just a rumour. There has been no conversation with Kohli about this. Do not give weight to rumours. Nothing of that sort has happened,” Devajit Saikia told AajTak on Sunday, November 30.
Former England skipper Kevin Pietersen entertained the speculation, suggesting that if India stalwarts Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma were ready to make a comeback, they should be welcomed back with open arms.
ALSO READ: IND vs SA: Rohit Sharma Rewrites History, Becomes Undisputed Six-Hitting King With Most ODI Maximums
"I don’t always believe what I read in the media or on social media. But, if it’s half true that both Virat and Rohit are considering playing Test cricket again, then it needs to be taken very, very seriously. The survival of Test cricket is a hot topic of conversation and if the biggest stars in the game want to play it again, they must play!" Kevin Pietersen wrote on X.
Meanwhile, in the first ODI against South Africa, Kohli delivered a statement hundred — his 52nd in the format, to propel India to a formidable 349 for 8 against the Proteas in the series-opener on Sunday in Ranchi.
