• Source:JND

A ruckus broke out at the transport department headquarters at Shantinagar TTMC in central Bengaluru on Thursday after several auto and cab drivers held a massive protest demanding action against illegal operations of bike taxis, violation of fare rules by taxi aggregators, private cars being used as taxis to ferry passengers using unauthorized apps, and delay in the registration of school vans. They also demanded the state transport department to implement ‘one city, one cab fare’ as soon as possible.

When the entry of the drivers was restricted, they became agitated and arguments ensued. The drivers managed to enter the conference hall. The officials spoke to the protesters and assured them that their grievances would be addressed.

The protesters asked the transport department to direct taxi aggregators in the city not to charge more than a five per cent commission for providing bookings. They also complained that fitness certificates for transport vehicles were withheld because of the non-installation of panic buttons and vehicle-tracking devices, despite the deadline for compliance being Sept 10.

READ MORE: UK Election 2024 Results LIVE: PM-to-be Keir Starmer Vows 'National Renewal' After Labour Sweeps To Power

The officials informed the protesters about the orders issued to the joint commissioner, Bengaluru, to carry out an enforcement drive against illegal e-bike taxi operations from July 5, president of the Federation of Karnataka State Private Transport Associations, said S Nataraja Sharma in a TOI report.

This move calmed the protesters and they were dispersed. The incident also impacted traffic flow in the area as the protesters had arrived in their vehicles. There were traffic snarls from 11 am to 3 pm.

Sharma said, "Despite imposing a ban on bike taxis in the city, illegal operations are going unchecked. When there is no policy in place to run bike taxis, how can officials allow aggregators to operate them? Since the bike taxi policy was withdrawn, auto drivers have been demanding action against the operators who continue to violate the rules. But that hasn't happened so far. Officials are misinterpreting the high court order to initiate action.”

'C Mallikarjun, additional commissioner (enforcement) of the transport department, said, "We've already fulfilled various demands of auto and taxi drivers. The aggression shown by the protesters was totally unwarranted."

READ MORE: Russia Not Ready For Ceasefire In Ukraine: President Vladimir Putin

The official said, "The department has already withdrawn the e-bike taxi policy in the state, and action will be taken against aggregators violating the rules."

He maintained that with regard to non-e-bike taxis, there is an HC order directing the department not to take coercive action against their operations. In city limits, 11 teams have been formed to carry out the drives.

Meanwhile, taking strong objections to the move of the transport department, the Bike Taxi Welfare Association, Karnataka, in a statement, said it would approach the HC if it comes across violations of the earlier order.