- By Deeksha Gour
- Sat, 30 Aug 2025 09:51 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
Pune News: A 26-year-old man was allegedly beaten to death by his partner’s family in Pimpri Chinchwad’s Pimple Gurav area near Pune. The incident occurred on July 22, after the family called him to their residence under the pretext of discussing marriage.
Police said the victim, Rameshwar Ghengat, had been in a relationship with a young woman from his extended family. Her family strongly opposed the marriage due to his criminal background, which included cases of rape and offences under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.
According to police, both Rameshwar and the woman were determined to marry despite opposition. On July 22, the woman’s family invited him and his parents to discuss the proposal. However, an argument soon broke out between the two sides.
ALSO READ: Pune Metro To Run On THIS Route For First Time Till 2 AM During Ganeshotsav; Check Full Details
According to a Free Press Journal report, the woman’s father, Prashant Sarsar, along with other family members, allegedly dragged Rameshwar into a room and attacked him with punches, kicks, belts and even a rope. He sustained severe injuries, particularly to his private parts, leaving him critically wounded.
Victim Succumbs To Injuries
Rameshwar was first rushed to a private hospital and later shifted to Sassoon General Hospital, but doctors could not save him. His father, Ravi Kisan Ghengat (45), filed a complaint at Sangvi Police Station.
Following this, a case was registered against 11 people, including the woman’s father and other relatives. Nine accused have been arrested so far, while two women remain absconding.
Police Action nd Charges
The accused have been booked under multiple sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), including 103 (murder), 189 (unlawful assembly), 191 (rioting), 190 (offence committed in prosecution of common object), 352 (intentional insult), 351 (criminal intimidation) and 126 (wrongful restraint).
Senior Police Inspector Jitendra Koli confirmed that efforts are ongoing to trace the absconding suspects. Inspector Amol Nandekar, who is leading the investigation, said arrests of the remaining accused will be made soon.