• Source:JND

India-US tariff news: Hours after White House trade advisor Peter Navarro issued a series of provocative statements against India, New Delhi also hit back in a similar fashion. Indian Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal on Friday asserted that New Delhi is ready to sign a trade deal, but it will not bow down if anyone wants to discriminate.

"If somebody wants to have a good free trade agreement, we will always be ready. But if somebody discriminates...We will never bow down, nor will we ever be weak; together we will keep moving forward," he said at an industry event in New Delhi.

The remarks came in the backdrop of the Trump administration imposing a steep 50 per cent tariff on Indian goods entering America. The imposition of this high duty is seen as a pressure tactic by America on India to accept its demands in the proposed bilateral trade agreement (BTA). The US is seeking greater market access in politically sensitive agri and dairy sectors.

ALSO READ: How India Plans To Reduce US Dependency After Trump’s Tariff Blow, Eyeing 40 Countries For Textile Exports

White House Advisor's controversial remarks against India

Earlier on Wednesday (US time), Navarro issued a provocative statement, labeling the Russia-Ukraine conflict as “Modi’s war.” Speaking to Bloomberg TV, Navarro said the Trump administration aimed to intensify pressure on India to end purchases of Russian energy, but India refused.

“I mean Modi’s war because the road to peace runs, in part, through New Delhi,” Navarro said on Bloomberg Television’s Balance of Power. “Everybody in America loses because of what India is doing. The consumers and businesses and everything lose, and workers lose because India’s high tariffs cost us jobs, factories, income, and higher wages. And then the taxpayers lose because we have to fund Modi’s war,” he added.

Act like the world's largest democracy: Navarro

The advisor, who linked the Russia-Ukraine war with PM Narendra Modi, called Indians the most “arrogant” when it comes to buying Russian oil. “What’s troubling to me is that the Indians are so arrogant about this. They say, ‘Oh, we don’t have higher tariffs. Oh, it’s our sovereignty. We can buy oil from anyone we want,” he said.

ALSO READ: US Tariffs To Have Short-Term Effect, Expediting Roll Out Of Export Promotion Mission To Minimise Impact: Govt

India and the US have been negotiating the pact since March. So far, five rounds of talks are completed. After 50 per cent duty was imposed, the US team deferred its visit to India for the next round of talks, which was scheduled from August 25. So far, no new dates have been finalised for the sixth round of negotiations.

Unjustified tariff: Goyal

Goyal on Friday said India is negotiating a bilateral trade agreement with the US, indicating that the steep 50 per cent tariff imposed by America on Indian goods will not have much impact on the country's economy. India has described these duties as unfair and unjustified. It has been stated that the government will not compromise the interests of farmers and cattle rearers.

ALSO READ: Trump Adviser Uses PM Modi's Photo To Attack India, Calls Russian Oil Trade 'Financial Lifeline' For Putin

Goyal said that efforts are being made for export diversification, and "I can say with confidence that India's exports this year will exceed 2024-25 numbers". In 2024-25, the country's goods and services exports touched an all-time high of USD 825 billion. In the global trade market, India's share is low and hence, "there is no need to fear", the minister said, adding the country has successfully managed Covid pandemic and nuclear sanctions.

India-US trade deal

Observing that India is an import-dependent economy, he noted that about 40 per cent of India's exports to US are not covered by the tariffs. About the proposed free trade agreement, the minister said, "We are talking to US for a BTA. We have a plan to complete the first phase of the BTA by fall (Oct-Nov) of this year."

(With inputs from agency)