- By Ajeet Kumar
- Sat, 10 May 2025 09:41 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
Hours after India and Pakistan announced a ceasefire following three days cross cross-border firing at the Line of Actual Control and other states, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif appreciated the role played by US President Donald Trump and his administration in mediating the talks-- a step to please American administration.
"We thank President Trump for his leadership and proactive role in peace in the region. Pakistan appreciates the United States for facilitating this outcome, which we have accepted in the interest of regional peace and stability. We also thank Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio for their valuable contributions to peace in South Asia," said Pak PM on social media platform, X.
We thank President Trump for his leadership and proactive role for peace in the region .
— Shehbaz Sharif (@CMShehbaz) May 10, 2025
Pakistan appreciates the United States for facilitating this outcome, which we have accepted in the interest of regional peace and stability.
We also thank Vice President JD Vance and…
"Pakistan believes this marks a new beginning in the resolution of issues that have plagued the region and prevented its journey toward peace, prosperity and stability.
Who brokered the ceasefire deal?
Earlier in the evening, Trump was quick to announce the ceasefire and claimed it was his administration that brokered the deal. However, later in a press conference, the Ministry of External Affairs said the Pakistani side "directly" called the Indian Director General of Military Operation.
"The Director General of Military Operations of Pakistan called the Director General of Military Operations of India at 1535 hrs earlier this afternoon. It was agreed between them that both sides would stop all firing and military action on land and in the air and sea with effect from 1700 hrs Indian Standard Time today," Misri said in a short media briefing. "Instructions have been given on both sides to give effect to this understanding. The Director General of Military Operations will talk again on the 12th of May at 1200 hours," the Foreign Secretary added.
Trump claims he mediated talks
Earlier, Trump announced a "full and immediate ceasefire" between India and Pakistan without sharing any details of the negotiations or the ceasefire. US Secretary of State Rubio also said in a State Department statement that he and Vice President JD Vance conducted the ceasefire negotiations.
"After a long night of talks mediated by the United States, I am pleased to announce that India and Pakistan have agreed to a full and immediate ceasefire," President Trump wrote on Truth Social, the social media platform he owns. "Congratulations to both Countries on using Common Sense and Great Intelligence. Thank you for your attention to this matter!" he added.
Secretary of State Rubio said in a separate statement: "Over the past 48 hours, Vice President Vance and I have engaged with senior Indian and Pakistani officials, including Prime Ministers Narendra Modi and Shehbaz Sharif, External Affairs Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Chief of Army Staff Asim Munir, and National Security Advisors Ajit Doval and Asim Malik. "I am pleased to announce the Governments of India and Pakistan have agreed to an immediate ceasefire and to start talks on a broad set of issues at a neutral site. We commend Prime Ministers Modi and Sharif on their wisdom, prudence, and statesmanship in choosing the path of peace," he stated.
(With inputs from agency)