- By Ajeet Kumar
- Sat, 10 May 2025 06:28 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
India-Pakistan ceasefire news: India on Saturday said that the Pakistan Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) called the Indian DGMO at 15:35 hours, and the talks were held directly between the two nations. The statement from the Ministry of External Affairs came minutes after US President Donald Trump announced the ceasefire declaration between the two nuclear-armed nations. Although it should be noted that the Trump administration has played a key role in mediating, as the US Secretary of State Marco Rubio had held multiple calls with top officials, including the Prime Ministers of both sides.
"Pakistan's Director General of Military Operations (DGMO) called the Indian DGMO at 15:35 hours earlier this afternoon. It was agreed between them that both sides would stop all firing and military action on land and in the air and sea with effect from 1700 hours Indian Standard Time. Today, instructions have been given on both sides to give effect to this understanding. The Directors General of Military Operations will talk again on the 12th of May at 1200 hours," said Indian Foreign Secretary Vikaram Misri in a brief message to the press in Delhi.
India-Pakistan ceasefire
The directors general of military operations of India and Pakistan have agreed to stop all firings and military action on land, air and sea with effect from 5 pm, Misri has announced. The US-brokered ceasefire came hours after the militaries of India and Pakistan attacked each other's facilities, dangerously escalating the standoff. Trump's announcement had come after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke to External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, Pakistan Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar and Pakistan Army chief General Asim Munir. Rubio also made a similar statement on X.
However, a wider clarity over US's role is yet to be made public.
READ: 'Will Continue To Oppose Terrorism In All Its Forms': Jaishankar After India-Pakistan Ceasefire
Pakistan Deputy PM claims UK Foreign Minister has also big role in ceasefire
Pakistan Deputy Prime Minister Ishaq Dar has said that the ceasefire between Pakistan and India was "full-fledged", not a partial one. Speaking to Geo News, Dar said that the ceasefire would apply “all across, everywhere”. Dar has said that UK’s Foreign Secretary David Lammy, with whom he spoke earlier today, also "played a role" in the ceasefire between Pakistan and India. “We jointly agreed [on ceasefire] but obviously, these countries were involved," Dar told Geo News, referring to his conversations with Turkiye’s and the UK’s top diplomats. “UK’s foreign secretary also played a role today,” the deputy PM said. “This background diplomacy, WhatsApp diplomacy has been going on today,” he added.
Pahalgam attack and Operation Sindoor
In retaliation for the Pahalgam terror attack, Indian armed forces carried out missile strikes early Wednesday on nine terror targets in Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, including the Jaish-e-Mohammad stronghold of Bahawalpur and Lashkar-e-Taiba's base Muridke. The military strikes were carried out under 'Operation Sindoor' two weeks after the massacre of 26 civilians in Jammu and Kashmir's Pahalgam.