- By Ajeet Kumar
- Fri, 29 Aug 2025 07:53 PM (IST)
- Source:JND
The US police shot down a Sikh man while he was performing “gatka”, a traditional martial arts form, on the streets of Los Angeles. The person, a 36-year-old Sikh man, was identified as Gurpreet Singh. The incident occurred on July 13 this year, but the footage of the incident was released earlier on Thursday, August 28.
According to the police, they received multiple panic calls where people narrated how a Sikh man was recklessly playing with a sword. However, later, the object was identified as a "khanda" - a double-edged sword used in Indian martial arts. The art form is usually performed during Sikh religious and cultural events.
VIDEO: LAPD released footage of shooting of Gurpreet Singh
LAPD released footage of shooting of Gurpreet Singh, where he seems to be performing gatka (traditional Sikh art form) in the middle of a road.
— Journalist V (@OnTheNewsBeat) August 29, 2025
He was shot dead after he refused to comply and tried to attack the cops pic.twitter.com/xQ3sK9v7TM
LA Police says Sikh man tried to attack cops
The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) claimed that Singh was wielding a machete near Crypto.com Arena in downtown Los Angeles and was shot dead after he tried to attack the cops.
WATCH FULL VIDEO HERE
Sikh man refused to follow instructions: LA Police
LAPD bodycam footage reveals a Sikh man, dressed in a vest, shorts, and a blue turban, brandishing a sword in the street. Despite repeated police orders to drop the weapon, the man, identified as Singh, refused and reportedly slashed his tongue with the sword, per ABC7.
Officers approached, and Singh threw a bottle before attempting to escape by car, driving recklessly, hitting several vehicles, and waving the sword out his window. Police stated they opened fire when Singh charged at them with the sword. He was taken to a hospital but succumbed to his injuries.
As of now, the External Affairs Ministry has not reacted to the incident.
Earlier this month, a 70-year-old Sikh man was brutally assaulted in North Hollywood. As per the Los Angeles police, they are currently investigating the case. So far, police have arrested a homeless man in the attack. The city’s police chief says it’s not considered a hate crime.